Sunday, January 1, 2012

Who is the enemy?

You are at home.  There is cake sitting on the counter, soda in the fridge, and ice-cream in the freezer.  No one is watching, no one will know, just a nibble.  Oh honey, I have been there.  Being a stay-at-home mom and cake designer I am constantly in the kitchen and more often than not surrounded by delicious baked goods.  What to do?
My husband and I have been on a journey recently - a weight loss journey.  We had his health evaluated and were alarmed at the results.  Most of these potential ailments could be solved with weight loss.  I chose not to subject myself to that, so have no idea my health age or potential causes of death but one can imagine.  So, after much discussion and research we set out with a goal weight in mind.  I have lost 10 pounds and the Mr. much, much more (why men are able to shed weight so quickly is beyond me and irritating to say the least).  Many people have asked me how we have done this and one answer is the South Beach diet but really it's much simpler than that.  Define the enemy!
Sugar is the enemy, white flour is the enemy, and white starches are the enemy.  Now, if you follow the south beach diet to the letter it is much more complex but I thought I would boil it down a little .
Don't eat sugar, don't eat white flour, and don't eat white starches (potatoes). 
I have been on many diets and they always taught me that cheese, red meat, and all carbs were the enemies but I have now found that to be untrue.  Our bodies actually need and use cheese, meats, and carbohydrates.  It's the processed crap that it doesn't.  I know, giving up sugar is like asking you not to breath.  I get it.  It's not easy at first, but trust me, it gets easier.  Fortunately there are a few tricks.  Substitutions!
Sugar free candy, chocolate, ice-cream, etc.  They are in every grocery store and they taste great!  They will be your salvation.  Don't overdo it though.  Small portions, but they get you through those times when you just need something sweet.
 Sweet potatoes.  They are so healthy for you and taste amazing.  Try them baked with low-fat sour cream and chives.  We love sweet potato fries.  I use sweet potato chips instead of tortilla chips in taco salad and they work great.   Have them instead of saltines or other crackers.







 100% whole wheat.  Tortillas, bread, rolls, crackers.  When you do need a carb - reach for whole wheat.  I will post a recipe for a great sugar-free bread that is easy to make.  Most grocery stores carry a large variety of whole wheat products.  No more white flour!
Meal planning:  Try to plan meals that use whole grains, beans, meats, cheeses, etc.  Things that your body can really use.  For example: chili, ham and beans, tacos with whole wheat tortillas, taco salad with sweet potato chips, baked sweet potato bar, omelets, grilled hamburgers with whole wheat buns, salmon and wild rice.  Snack on things like almonds, real peanut butter (just crushed peanuts), apples, string cheese, whole wheat crackers. 
You will find that the pounds come off but more importantly - you will feel better!  Your body will be burning food that is actually nourishing it.  Good luck and let me hear of your triumphs.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great one Becca!

kristib said...

Becca, Where are you researching? I'm interested in this subject as well, but things I've read are contradicting, and I never know what to trust to be just giving me the facts without trying to sell me something. Can you recommend books/articles/websites that have been helpful to you?

Rebecca Barlow said...

Kristib - My husband and I researched several different diets but were concerned with what they were limiting. My sister had a lot of success with the South Beach Diet so we started reading about that. We decided we agreed with it's philosophy so tried it. We have now lost a combined 30 lbs since Halloween. We feel it's the healthiest, most practical way of eating. It's not rapid weight loss but it's consistent.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to say that I agree with you - our bodies DO need fat and protein and carbs. They do not need processed junk.

In the end, weight loss is 100 percent about the numbers -- it all comes down to calories in being less than calories out. You can eat junk and still lose weight.

Feeling good, satisfied, and energized does require thought about where those calories come from however.