Friday, January 6, 2012

boudoir transformation....

(I forgot to take a before picture.  Here is the after.)
I don't know why but our master bedroom always seems to be last on the list of priorities.  In eight years, we have never attempted to make it pretty.  We had our mattresses on the frame, some old black night stands that were functional but not attractive, and that was it.  Our room was basically a dumping ground for everything we wanted to hide from the children.  I have focused on most of the other spaces in our home, but not this one.  The ironic part is that I believe that the most important part of a family is a healthy marriage and yet the place where we celebrate that is last on the list.  No more!

I have been looking for a headboard for quite a while but have never found anything that was the style or price that I wanted.  I finally found a bed on craigslist that I thought had potential.  It was painted "shabby chic" emphasis on the shabby but it had solid bones and real, heavy wood.  So, I bought it for a great deal, brought it home, and here's what happened.



I cleaned it thoroughly and then painted it with several coats of Olympic enamel with an satin finish.  The color is "delicate white."  I painted the ironwork in a dark grey of the same brand. 
The ironwork was in rough shape - it was beginning to rust and just needed some TLC.  I think it turned out beautifully. 
Here's the finished project.  I brought some other pieces in from different parts of the house to serve as nightstands.  I didn't want anything 'matchy matchy' so I went fro something more masculine on his side and feminine on mine.  I painted them the same color as the bed. 

I found the old window frames at a thrift store, painted them the same color white and I think they add a cute touch to the room.  I love the light, clean, nautical feel of the space and I should have done this years ago.    If you have the same problem I did and your room is last on the list.  Maybe it's time to change that.  They say that this is where the magic happens - make it magical then!

3 comments:

Casey Lu said...

Yeah, my room is totally lacking and is definitely the room that collects things that I keep away from the kids. I am hoping to change that in the next year or two but then I don't know for sure as I don't know what I want. Love how yours turned out! Love the soothing and calming. It definitely has a traditional/beachy feel to it, that I know you like.

Jaelynne Francis said...

This is totally Larry and I...only we've been married 13 years and our room is the least place I want to be...how sad, but you have given me hope!! Thank you thank you!!

Gale said...

Wow! I love it!!! I think the thing I love the most about it is that you found your head and foot boards used and restored them! I LOVE to refinish furniture! Yours turned out fantastic!!! The whole room is wonderful!! I took an OLD nasty chest of drawers and refinished them to match a new set of bunkbeds and they turned out perfect! There's treasures out there just waiting to be discovered!!