Monday, January 23, 2012

Lid Art.....

I really love the embroidery hoop with the fabric in it look.  I think displaying vintage fabric on your walls is so stylish and if I had embroidery hoops and vintage fabrics, I would do that.  I wanted to recreate that look for less and this is what I came up with. 

I had a lot of old lids lying around.  You know those babies in the bottom of your lid drawer that definitely don't have a container to match.  Yup, those.  I had 5 or 6 plastic lids that used to go on ice cream tubs. I decided I liked the shape and I could make something with them.

I went to Michaels and bought some scrap booking paper that looked like vintage fabric patterns, some craft adhesive, and that was it.  I think it adds a nice softness to a space that has mostly hard edges. 

Step One: Pick out your lids.  You can do any size.  I chose to have them all the same but it might be fun to have different sizes and shapes.  Make sure that they are clean and dry.

Step Two: Paint them.  I used white paint but it would be equally cute with a color.  Just be careful that the paint color you choose doesn't change the look of your paper. 

Step Three: Cut decorative paper to fit inside the top of the lid.  I traced the lid and then just cut in 1/2 inch and that worked fine.  Spray the back of the paper with craft adhesive and then apply it to the lid.

Step Four: Ink the edges of the lid.  Just take a stamp pad and run it along the edge.  This gives it some dimension and ages it a little. 

Step Five:  Hang it up and enjoy.  They are light weight and easy to hang.

I think that a grouping of these with baby themed paper would be adorable in a nursery.  Try a collage of different shapes and sizes.  It's virtually free and sooooo easy.  I love how it turned out.

No comments: