Monday, January 16, 2012

Tuxedo front dress.....

My sewing machine is to me what a computer game is to my husband.  :)  I have been having so much fun with it lately.  I strongly encourage you to make the most of yours.  Read the manual and then read it again.  I am not a great seamstress by any means but there are just so many fun things to sew.

Here is my latest project. I didn't use a pattern so I will try to explain how I did it. At the bottom of the post I will show links to different tutorials that have helped me.

I used the same bodice pattern for this dress that I made for the sheet dress only shorter.  All you do to make this is find a dress with a bodice that you like, lay it out on a large sheet of paper or plastic, trace it, and then cut it out leaving yourself a 5/8" seam allowance. I cut the back exactly the same as the front.  I wanted it lined and the seams not to show so in actuality I cut 4 of the same pattern.  Does that make sense?  :)  Two for the front panel, and two for the back.   



When you sew the lining together with the outside pieces it hides your seams.  Lining at least the bodice of a dress is nice for modestly issues as well as maintaining the color of the fabric.  In the back I made a slit and then sewed in a loop of elastic.  This is an easier closure than a zipper (in my opinion). 




For the front ruffle, I simple cut a 4" wide strip of fabric and hemmed the edges.  You can serge them if you want to do it faster.  Then change your stitch length longer.  Run a stitch down the center of the fabric (don't back stitch of either end).  To ruffle your fabric, hold onto the back thread and scoot the fabric down.  I hope that makes sense. 


Then attach this to the front of the bodice, trim off the excess and sew on the buttons.  I chose high contrast fabrics because I like that look but I think monotones would be just as beautiful.  I found this fabric on a clearance sale.  I got 2 yards for $3.25.  I love the turquoise with the red. I added a band of red to the bottom of the bodice and skirt to tie it all together.

For the skirt, I simply made a wide tube, pleated it, and sewed it onto the bodice.  Don't forget to overcast or serge the inside seams so that you don't get a lot of fraying when it's washed. 



Here is the finished product.  I absolutely love it.  I would have normally done a gathered skirt because it is a little easier but this striped fabric was just screaming for pleats.
I ended up completely opening the back and adding more buttons because it was hard for her to take on and off by herself.  I also added ties when I sewed the bodice up so that it would always fit well at the waist. 
Here is a closeup of the front.


 I love it paired with a little white cardigan.  Great for winter or summer. 
 Helpful websites:
http://www.craftinessisnotoptional.com/2011/01/anthropologie-dress-knock-off-tutorial.html
http://fromanigloo.blogspot.com/2010/04/bubblegum-jumper-tutorial.html

No comments: