Friday, December 30, 2011

Easy skirt...

I have been wanting to make some skirts for Shannon for quite some time now but just hadn't found the right pattern/tutorial until now.  I found it HERE and it is so easy!  You will have to give it a try.  It took me about 30 minutes from start to finish.  I modified it slightly to make it easier for me. 
*I used 1 1/4" elastic instead of 2.  (I thought 2 was just too much but that's just me)
*Instead of hemming the bottom I just used the overcasting foot on my sewing machine.  If you have a serger that works even better. 

It was simple, fun project.  Shannon picked out the fabric and spent all afternoon twirling around in her new skirt.  I am making several tomorrow with double ruffles.  I will post those when they are done so you can see the difference. 


 Refer to the link above for how to calculate and cut out the fabric for the circle skirt. 
 The is what overcasting looks like - very similar to serging.  I like this because it doesn't have the bulk or weight of a traditional hem. 
 Again, refer to the link for how to cut and adjoin the waistband.  Pin it to the skirt, then sew to attach.
 Here's the finished skirt.  Couldn't be simpler. 


No comments: