Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Pot Roast and "real" gravy.....

Sorry it's been a little while since the last post.  After the kitchen re-do, I really haven't felt like doing much of anything at all.  I did change the mirror out in the downstairs bathroom with a gorgeous one I found at a thrift store for $9, (SCORE!!!) but other than that, not much.

Anyway, I was making dinner last Sunday and thought I would talk over a few points about gravy.
Most of you probably already know how to make gravy from scratch and how to thicken various sauces but just in case - here are a few tips. :)

Making pan gravy:  "real" gravy is made from the leftover juices from the meat you cook.  It is simple, delicious and will always compliment your meat.  Here's how I do it.
I cook most of my meats in the crock pot so I will use that in my example but it will work with whatever your desired cooking method.  I will use a beef pot roast as my example.

Beef Pot Roast in the crock pot:

4 long stalks of celery
1 medium onion
4 large carrots
1 three to four lb pot roast - whatever cut you like best
1 pkg McCormick pot roast seasoning mix (or whatever herbs you prefer)
1 can beef stock
1 cup water

Cooking directions:
*Roughly chop the veggies and place them in the bottom of your crock pot.  Place your defrosted pot-roast on top of the veggies (if there is a fattier side, place that side up).  Pour beef stock in.  Mix the seasoning mix with the water and pour over the roast.  Cover and cook for 6-8 hrs on low.

*This is a great time to throw some baked potatoes in: Wash potatoes, poke with a fork, spray lightly with cooking spray, wrap in tin foil, place in 350 oven for 1 - 2 hours.  Yum!*

After the roast is finished cooking, put it in your serving platter and surround it with the cooked veggies.  Cover the whole thing in tin foil and let it rest until the rest of the meal is ready.

Gravy:
There will be a lot of juices left in the crock pot after you take out the meat and veggies.  Strain the juice to remove any leftover bits of meat or vegetable.  I strain it twice just to make sure.  Put the juice in a medium sauce pan over high heat.  Bring it to boiling.  While it's coming to a boil, put 1/2 c. ice-cold water in a cup and stir in 2-3 heaping Tbsp of corn starch until it's dissolved.  When the juices are boiling stir in the water/corn starch mixture.  Reduce the heat to medium and continue stirring until you achieve the right consistency.  Remove from heat and serve.  (If your gravy is too thick, just add a little more water).
Voila!  Pan gravy!

This cold water/corn starch mixture is good for any gravy or sauce that is not dairy based.  I use it for all of my meat gravies and sauces such as sweet and sour sauce.  If you are making a sauce that has a milk or cream base use RUE for thickening it.  Rue is equal parts butter and flour that you mix together and add to the sauce as it is cooking to thicken the mixture. 

Good luck and have a great day!

No comments: